Monday, April 8, 2019

Department founding dates

A dean asked about start dates for some departments. Some, like Nursing, are relatively easy, just go through the catalogs. Others though have changed since the catalog ended, 2007, and those are taking more research. This would be a good student/intern project: a spreadsheet with all departments since, say, 1965 (when the shift to a comprehensive liberal arts school began,) to date. Date of founding, original chair... I'll start one myself actually...

Update: I just got another such request. This is really a big research project, to ID departments, their founding dates, chair persons etc. One should really start with the transition to being a comprehensive liberal arts school c1966 and work forward. I started a spreadsheet, I will also look at org charts, Middle States etc., on my own and using student help before semester ends. A lot of digging to do, but it would be a very good file to have on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment