Thursday, April 18, 2019

Carillion

Was asked for some info on the history of this for remarks the President is preparing. What I had covered the history of it 1955-1993. It was originally a memorial to war service and veterans. In the 1990s somewhere the original mechanical chimes died, and were replaced by a digital/electronic setup. The original chimes, or what is left of them, are in a storage room here in the library. I wish I had more hard info about the chimes after '93 but I don't at this point...

Update: another staff person called on this, and reminded me of the Ron Watts memorial effort, after he died in 1987, that resulted in a rebuilt carillon. I found an article in the old AlumNews from '88 and added that to the file and sent that to the folks who had inquired about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment