Monday, April 2, 2018

Special Olympics time capsule

Contacted by a staff person asking about this, I will double check, but my recollection is that there was a time capsule placed, I think in the area of the stadium, but the record of the location is now lost. This is the problem with time capsules, the locations are forgotten, or if they are known, the contents get water damage etc... Many advise it is best to place such an item in your archives, in sealed boxes, which is what I did for that Black Student Liberation Front reunion of a couple summers ago.


Update: I looked into this, found and downloaded two Stylus articles that were pertinent. In 1979, at the close of the Special Olympics, a number of items were collected to be put in a time capsule and placed at "Special Olympic Park," that is the part on the east side of Drake Library, with the fountain and the Happiness to the World statues. If the capsule was placed there,  the location is not on record, and it may well have been covered over in 1982 when the park as we know it today, with the walks, benches, walls etc. was constructed. (Originally it was just the fountain and the statues.) So as of the time of writing this I do not know for sure if the capsule was ever actually placed there, or if it was, where, and if placed elsewhere I have no record of that. The 1982 article lists a number of people involved in constructing and planning the park, I suggested they might try contacting some of them and see if they know anything. I was told once or twice over the years that the location of the capsule was lost...

No comments:

Post a Comment