Monday, October 15, 2012

Number of Grads, BCI & BSNS

A question from John Follaco, the PR person. Apparently the Bannner folks told him:

I only have access to what alumni records are in Banner.  As of August 2012, we had 87,665 alumni records - mailable/unmailable/living and deceased.  That only goes back to maybe the 1920s.  There are still about 90 years' worth of graduates before that that I don't have.

I added:

...if we are talking about people who graduated, who finished whatever the course of study was at the time, then I would say 250 for the Collegiate Institute, 2314 for the Normal, giving a total of 2564 grads for the period 1835-1917. I think this is a reasonably accurate ballpark figure.

I got the BSNS number from the 1917 semicentennial. For the BCI I looked at the list of BCI students we did once, names from the catalogs, and saw 900+ names, and made a rough estimate that about 250 of those actually "graduated," that is, finished a particular course of study. The records for the BCI are much sketchier. It is difficult to compare these very different institutions, but certainly the earlier editions of our school were far smaller than the college of the 1960s to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment